Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Artist Statement

(1) Although trained as a sculptor I have become a media artist. That means that my work is not limited to a single material, it includes all sorts of media. In a recent exhibition for instance I was showing 25 new installations: photography, objects, mixed media, and video. To cross boundaries has proven to be typical for my work over the years, trying continually to explore and bridge diversity in media, technology, and the arts.

(2) I believe in the power of art. I think art continually has to find new images for the time we live in. For the conditions and issues we deal with: emotionally, existentially, politically, physically, and globally. Searching such images is what I am aiming for.

(3) Going back and forth between knowing and doing feeds what we ultimately call culture. It is important to me to be involved in art practice from both a theoretical and practical stance. I usually get most inspired by artwork that comes from a balance between aesthetic form and conceptual content.

(4) My artwork is often based on some sort of humor. I like it when serious things come with a wink. It makes it easier to deal with, to digest, and to further construct.

(5) I do believe in an intriguing encounter between art producers and the public. To embrace education is a rewarding way to expand our creativity. Audiences can make us learn better, and see things we would not have known of. I understand both, intelligence and creativity to be profoundly social.

Richard Jochum, New York 2005-2009

No comments: